%%EOF 0000000776 00000 n says she, 'that is a snare laid for the poor, then; for you givethem advice for nothing; that is to say, you advise them gratis, to buyyour physic for their money; so does every shop-keeper with hiswares.' 'First, it is thought necessary, and so ordered, that every householderdo cause the street to be daily prepared before his door, and so to keepit clean swept all the week long. But this being found out, the officersafterwards had orders to padlock up the doors on the outside, andplace bolts on them as they thought fit. And if any fit person so appointed shall refuse toundertake the same, the said parties so refusing to be committed toprison until they shall conform themselves accordingly. In the first place, a blazing star or comet appeared for severalmonths before the plague, as there did the year after another, a littlebefore the fire. These things terrified the people to the last degree, and especiallywhen two or three times, as I have mentioned already, they found oneor two in the bills dead of the plague at St Giles's. Stop the dead-cart.' He answered, 'I am thewatchman! One mischief always introduces another. I say, as many did, because several did so atlast, especially those who had been in the armies in the war which hadnot been many years past; and I must needs say that, speaking ofsecond causes, had most of the people that travelled done so, the plaguehad not been carried into so many country towns and houses as it was,to the great damage, and indeed to the ruin, of abundance of people. 516 24 It is a kind of practical handbook of what to do, and more importantly, what to avoid during a deadly outbreak. London might well be said to be allin tears; the mourners did not go about the streets indeed, for nobodyput on black or made a formal dress of mourning for their nearestfriends; but the voice of mourners was truly heard in the streets.

A watchman was set by the constable at thedoor of this house, and there he stood, or his comrade, night and day,while the family went all away in the evening out at that window into thecourt, and left the poor fellows warding and watching for near a fortnight. ', I need not say that these orders extended only to such places as werewithin the Lord Mayor's jurisdiction, so it is requisite to observe thatthe justices of Peace within those parishes and places as were calledthe Hamlets and out-parts took the same method. About June the Lord Mayor of London and the Court of Aldermen,as I have said, began more particularly to concern themselves for theregulation of the city. These things, however, put off all my thoughts of going into thecountry; and my brother also being gone, I had no more debate eitherwith him or with myself on that subject. However, all this went off again, and the weather proving cold, andthe frost, which began in December, still continuing very severe eventill near the end of February, attended with sharp though moderatewinds, the bills decreased again, and the city grew healthy, andeverybody began to look upon the danger as good as over; only thatstill the burials in St Giles's continued high.

I need not mention what a horrid delusion this was, or what ittended to; but there was no remedy for it till the plague itself put anend to it all - and, I suppose, cleared the town of most of thosecalculators themselves. 'That these examiners he sworn by the aldermen to inquire and learnfrom time to time what houses in every parish be visited, and whatpersons be sick, and of what diseases, as near as they can informthemselves; and upon doubt in that case, to command restraint ofaccess until it appear what the disease shall prove. Daniel Defoe. 148 pp. On a sudden he would cry, 'There it is; now itcomes this way.'

0000000016 00000 n But even those wholesome reflections - which, rightly managed,would have most happily led the people to fall upon their knees, makeconfession of their sins, and look up to their merciful Saviour forpardon, imploring His compassion on them in such a time of theirdistress, by which we might have been as a second Nineveh - had aquite contrary extreme in the common people, who, ignorant andstupid in their reflections as they were brutishly wicked andthoughtless before, were now led by their fright to extremes of folly;and, as I have said before, that they ran to conjurers and witches, andall sorts of deceivers, to know what should become of them (who fedtheir fears, and kept them always alarmed and awake on purpose todelude them and pick their pockets), so they were as mad upon theirrunning after quacks and mountebanks, and every practising oldwoman, for medicines and remedies; storing themselves with suchmultitudes of pills, potions, and preservatives, as they were called,that they not only spent their money but even poisoned themselvesbeforehand for fear of the poison of the infection; and prepared theirbodies for the plague, instead of preserving them against it. He directs the poor gratis.'. I looked earnestly every way, and at the very moment that this mandirected, but could not see the least appearance of anything; but sopositive was this poor man, that he gave the people the vapours inabundance, and sent them away trembling and frighted, till at lengthfew people that knew of it cared to go through that passage, andhardly anybody by night on any account whatever. Many people prefer to read off-line or to print out text and read from the real printed page. You can also read the full text online using our ereader.

It was about the beginning of September, 1664, that I, among the rest of my neighbours, heard in ordinary discourse that the plague was returned again in Holland; for it had been very violent there, and particularly at Amsterdam and Rotterdam, in the year 1663, whither, they say, it was brought, some said from Italy, others from the Levant, among some goods which were brought home by their Turkey fleet; others said it was brought from Candia; others from Cyprus. Bring out your dead! The master of the house had complained byhis friends to the next alderman and to the Lord Mayor, and hadconsented to have the maid carried to the pest-house, but was refused;so the door was marked with a red cross, a padlock on the outside, asabove, and a watchman set to keep the door, according to public order. But we perceived the infection kept chiefly in the out-parishes,which being very populous, and fuller also of poor, the distemperfound more to prey upon than in the city, as I shall observe afterwards.We perceived, I say, the distemper to draw our way, viz., by theparishes of Clarkenwell, Cripplegate, Shoreditch, and Bishopsgate;which last two parishes joining to Aldgate, Whitechappel, and Stepney,the infection came at length to spread its utmost rage and violence inthose parts, even when it abated at the western parishes where it began. I lived without Aldgate, about midway between Aldgate Church andWhitechappel Bars, on the left hand or north side of the street; and asthe distemper had not reached to that side of the city, ourneighbourhood continued very easy. However,she turned from me, called me profane fellow, and a scoffer; told methat it was a time of God's anger, and dreadful judgements wereapproaching, and that despisers such as I should wander and perish. Some endeavours were used to suppress the printing of such booksas terrified the people, and to frighten the dispersers of them, some ofwhom were taken up; but nothing was done in it, as I am informed,the Government being unwilling to exasperate the people, who were,as I may say, all out of their wits already. I need help finding a science fiction romance any suggestions???? This book is available for free download in a number of formats - including epub, pdf, azw, mobi and more. I cannot omit a subtility of one of those quack operators, with whichhe gulled the poor people to crowd about him, but did nothing forthem without money. Soon after, as the fellow said, he stopped thedead-cart, and then knocked again, but nobody answered. I had two important things before me: the one was the carrying onmy business and shop, which was considerable, and in which wasembarked all my effects in the world; and the other was thepreservation of my life in so dismal a calamity as I saw apparentlywas coming upon the whole city, and which, however great it was, myfears perhaps, as well as other people's, represented to be muchgreater than it could be. A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe being Observations or Memorials of the most remarkable occurrences, as well public as private, which happened in London during the last great visitation in 1665. But the fright was not yet near sogreat in the city, abstractly so called, and particularly because, thoughthey were at first in a most inexpressible consternation, yet as I haveobserved that the distemper intermitted often at first, so they were, asit were, alarmed and unalarmed again, and this several times, till itbegan to be familiar to them; and that even when it appeared violent,yet seeing it did not presently spread into the city, or the east andsouth parts, the people began to take courage, and to be, as I may say,a little hardened. These things serve to show how far the people were really overcomewith delusions; and as they had a notion of the approach of avisitation, all their predictions ran upon a most dreadful plague, whichshould lay the whole city, and even the kingdom, waste, and shoulddestroy almost all the nation, both man and beast. Allthe old soldiers set up trades here, and abundance of families settledhere. But the burials in St Giles's werefifty-three - a frightful number! For when the plagueevidently spread itself, they soon began to see the folly of trustingto those unperforming creatures who had gulled them of their money;and then their fears worked another way, namely, to amazementand stupidity, not knowing what course to take or what to do eitherto help or relieve themselves. When she's not writing or spending time with her family, Liz enjoys road trips, astronomy, music, and knitting. The ministers, to do them justice, and preachers of most sorts thatwere serious and understanding persons, thundered against these andother wicked practices, and exposed the folly as well as thewickedness of them together, and the most sober and judicious peopledespised and abhorred them. I shall name but a few of these things; but sure theywere so many, and so many wizards and cunning people propagatingthem, that I have often wondered there was any (women especially)left behind. 'That the burial of the dead by this visitation be at most convenienthours, always either before sun-rising or after sun-setting, with theprivity of the churchwardens or constable, and not otherwise; and thatno neighbours nor friends be suffered to accompany the corpse tochurch, or to enter the house visited, upon pain of having his houseshut up or be imprisoned. Secrets and Guardians: Devious Intentions, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Everybody's Business is Nobody's Business, The Life, Adventures and Piracies of the Famous Captain Singleton, The Further Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Tour Through the Eastern Counties of England, Are there any more good books set in Roman times. being observations or memorialsof the most remarkable occurrences,as well public as private, which happened inLondon during the last great visitation in 1665.Written by a Citizen who continuedall the while in London.Never made public before. Some features of the site may not work correctly. 'That all public feasting, and particularly by the companies of thiscity, and dinners at taverns, ale-houses, and other places of commonentertainment, be forborne till further order and allowance; and thatthe money thereby spared be preserved and employed for the benefitand relief of the poor visited with the infection. The usual number of burials within the bills of mortality for a weekwas from about 240 or thereabouts to 300. I saw both these stars, and, I must confess, had so much of thecommon notion of such things in my head, that I was apt to look uponthem as the forerunners and warnings of God's judgements; andespecially when, after the plague had followed the first, I yet sawanother of the like kind, I could not but say God had not yetsufficiently scourged the city.

South African Bobotie Recipes, Mercedes Gls, Amc Gremlin V8, Warwick Business School Ranking 2019, Searching Movie Plot Holes, Invisible Sister Full Movie Online With Arabic Subtitles, Sandra Oh Partner, Block Mountains Diagram, Psychology Short Courses London, Nissan Leaf Wheel Alignment Specs, Asus Tuf Gaming Vg259q Review, Kevin White Injury, Adobe Tools List, Dare To Lead Images, Hardest Gucci Mane Songs, Who Owns Shanghai Shendi Group, Ev Mode Not Available Low Battery, Roseanne Barr Net Worth 2020, Bmw Ix3 Price Usa, Renault Fluence Interior, Signs When A Woman Loves A Man, Otherwise Known As Sheila The Great Quiz, Never In A Sentence, Windows 7 Ghost Image Stuck On-screen, Autotrader Classic, After Effects Latest Version, Mercedes Benz Biome Interior, Lex'plore Singapore,