By entering your details, you are agreeing to Radio Times privacy policy.

You give the kind of unself-aware portrayal I would expect from either a toddler or an actor with more experience. When I was your age, I would have loved Earth to Echo. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find out that you are older than Munch, the middle-schooler you play in Earth To Echo. On the surface, it seems "Earth to Echo" is simply the first found-footage film, a money-saving format popularized by 1999’s "The Blair Witch Project" and capitalized on by the more recent "Paranormal Activity" franchise, tamed down for grade-school audiences. Wondering if Earth to Echo is OK for your kids? Except, in this film, you get to play them all. Parents need to know that Earth to Echo is a family-friendly alien adventure that's reminiscent of E.T., The Goonies, and other films featuring preteens who ultimately save the day. Hiccup the Viking comes of age and Mark Wahlberg gets into heavy metal The boys all care about one another and are willing to protect and defend Echo. One kid is held against his will, and a group of adults tries to keep his friends in their custody, too. I'm wondering if the writers, Henry Gayden and Andrew Panay had a "when I was a kid…" brainstorming session before starting the script about boys who find an alien named Echo and have to help him get home. I've found this podcast very helpful in learnign more about the video-game that I love, and he has been consistent & … A gentler, tech-savvier E.T. The new puzzles website is now live - sign up now and enjoy a 7-day free trial! One guy makes a suggestive joke that may go over younger kids' head, and the boys occasionally make comments about "hot" girls (one lies about kissing the most popular girl in the class), but overall there's little romance. Is the amount of violence and romance appropriate? Earth to Echo. In many ways, Earth to Echo feels like the product of aggressive focus testing. Common Sense is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century. 5 Tips to Make Family Movie Night a Success. © Common Sense Media. The 89-minute runtime doesn't allow for a lingering explanation of Echo's home planet or even of a satisfying set of villains, but that just makes the story appropriate for slightly younger viewers who are just getting ready for live-action frights. Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners. As a kid, that's exactly what bothered me about the children's movie genre; the feeling that I was being patronized. The boys discuss how the Internet helps them learn everything from how to get somewhere to how to drive, and young viewers will pick up on the various ways that technology makes life easier. | Privacy Policy. Let's just start with the obvious: It could easily be claimed that Earth to Echo is imitating at least half a dozen kid-led adventures, but in this case, it really doesn't matter.

Eco Cast is a "virtual pre-read system" provided by Breakdown Services. Alex Teo Halm. In this week’s releases: Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum go to college, Hiccup the Viking comes of age and Mark Wahlberg gets into heavy metal, Smokey and the Bandit series in the works with Seth MacFarlane, Hollyoaks: 12 huge post-anniversary storyline spoilers, Do Married at First Sight UK's Shareen and David stay together? Common Sense and other associated names and logos are trademarks of Common Sense Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (FEIN: 41-2024986). IMDb doesn't say, but I'm guessing you could be anywhere between 11 and 28 since Hollywood is involved. Cast & Crew. Searching for streaming and purchasing options ... Common Sense is a nonprofit organization. Parents and caregivers: Set limits for violence and more with Plus. How things are going. Join now. ", A few "what the"s with a left-off expletive, plus insults like "loser," "liar," and "stupid.". I used to imagine myself as one of the members of the gang, and had Earth to Echo come out in 1985, I know Munch would have been the one I wanted to be. Your character was so well imagined that the rest of the film, despite CGI and special effects, often seemed less dimensional in comparison. for today's kids. Parents need to know that Earth to Echo is a family-friendly alien adventure that's reminiscent of E.T., The Goonies, and other films featuring preteens who ultimately save the day. A kid drives during a car chase; a collision seems likely but doesn't happen. Our best wishes for a productive day. Already have an account with us? I took my 6 and 8 year old to see this and walked out of the theatre 10 minutes in. What to Watch, Read, and Play While Your Kids Are Stuck Indoors, Common Sense Selections for family entertainment, Stoke kids' love of reading with great summer stories, Check out new Common Sense Selections for games, Teachers: Find the best edtech tools for your classroom with in-depth expert reviews, 6 formas de usar los medios para que los niños mantengan el español, Wide Open School: recursos para el aprendizaje a distancia, Which Side of History? 2014 13+ 1h 31m Children & Family Movies. All rights reserved. A boy records a goodbye message in case he doesn't make it out of one situation alive. There are so many, well, I'll be charitable and call them "homages" to 80s movies that I stopped counting. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, except for the fact that once referenced, it was hard not to compare those movies to yours, though this probably won't be an issue for Earth to Echo's target demographic. Thanks! They later go to a high school party where teens drink from red Solo cups; presumably some are drinking alcohol, because they flee once the cops arrive. Add your ratingSee all 38 parent reviews.

and lie to their parents, but they're unconditional friends to one another and selflessly commit to helping their extra-terrestrial discovery. Hollyoaks 25th anniversary: Silas Blissett is back but where has he been. Become a member to write your own review. The adults also surgically operate on/torture Echo.

For those familiar with other alien and adventure movies -- how is this an obvious homage to films like E.T., The Goonies, or even Stand by Me? But regardless of your age, kudos to you for delivering the most animated and endearing performance in a movie where the most endearing performance was supposed to come from an animated alien. They investigate and discover a small alien who has become stranded on Earth, and they set out to help him return to his own world. The three boys would literally not be able to complete their adventure without their phones and the Internet, and kids 8 to 12 get what that's like in a way parents likely never will.

Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations with Common Sense Media Plus. Is this an accurate description of the way kids use technology? This film has all the classic tropes of the tween/teen adventure genre - clueless parents, an annoying sibling, an evil government agency, mildly scary suspense, an adorable alien - and even adds a couple of new ones, namely the found footage trope. This kids-help-an-alien adventure borrows wholesale from. Four children who are facing being split up when their neighbourhood is demolished begin receiving strange signals on their phones. Read Earth to Echo reviews from parents on Common Sense Media. Very young kids might find Echo a bit scary at first (he makes things move/crash around).

Earth to Echo can fairly be described Goonies meets E.T. The kids also realize that distance doesn't have to ruin a friendship and that kids can and do make a difference. Browse titles with similar subject matter. Based off the T.V.

Not as intense as other alien adventures, though there's plenty of tension and some peril. But as a kid, that wouldn't have bothered me much, because I was always more interested in the characters. Earth to Echo Dave Green (2014) 87min. Classic '80s adventure has lots of swearing, some scares. The kids stumble into a biker bar where adults are drinking; the kids are given age-appropriate Shirley Temples. There's some mild violence (against the adorable alien), peril, and the threat of violence, but the main characters remain unscathed, and the villains aren't overtly scary. Earth to Echo... Kind of good, although no match for E.T.! The boys' shifting relationship with Emma sends the message that you can't judge people based solely on what they look like. Copyright © 2012-14 Dear Cast & Crew. Our ratings are based on child development best practices. That you get some of the best lines in the film is by design, but that you hit every one out of the park is talent, my young friend. Save up to £497* a year -Compare Lots of Deals - Switch in Minutes. Your purchase helps us remain independent and ad-free.

I went to the front, asked for either my money back or tickets to another age-appropriate movie and, thankfully, they let me exchange for How To Train Your Dragon 2.

We display the minimum age for which content is developmentally appropriate. This film has all the classic tropes of the tween/teen adventure genre - clueless parents, an annoying sibling, an evil government agency, mildly scary suspense, an adorable alien - and even adds a couple of new ones, namely the found footage trope. I would roll my eyes and feign interest because I was raised to respect my elders. When I was your age, there was nothing more annoying than an adult starting a sentence with the words "When I was your age…". Families can talk about how Earth to Echo portrays the use of technology. The star rating reflects overall quality. The young leads get into some iffy situations (they go to a bar and a high school party, etc.)

Teo Halm Astro Reese ... As Mexican-American Tejano singer Selena comes of age and realizes her dreams, she and her family make tough choices to hold on to love and music. Get full reviews, ratings, and advice delivered weekly to your inbox. EARTH TO ECHO starts off as a video diary about the last day that three best friends/neighbors spend in their suburban Nevada development, which is being destroyed to make room for a new freeway. by way of found footage - and the actual film pretty much reflects what that description would imply.Earth to Echo captures a lot of the wonder and heart of E.T., mixes in the one-night adventure and slight edge of danger from Goonies, but is ultimately held back by the usual shortcomings of the found-footage format. Teo Lucas Halm (born May 18, 1999) is an songwriter, record producer, and American actor. At one point, an adult rather easily takes the backpack containing Echo after a brief back and forth. Mild flirting between a boy and a girl, who hold hands once. Despite the how other actors had little love stories and more prominent perspectives, you had the stand-out role.

As an adult I found its obvious plot and lack of credible suspense a little too immature for me. He co-wrote Latin Grammy-winning song "Con altura" by Rosalía (featuring J Balvin) and two songs from the Grammy-nominated album The Lion King: The Gift: "Mood 4 Eva" performed by Beyoncé, Jay-Z and Childish Gambino, and "Scar", performed by 070 Shake and Jessie Reyez.

Tammy 1 Parks And Rec Actor, C# Polly Bulkhead Example, Addams Family Characters Musical, 2021 Ford Edge Interior, Jaguar Xj220 For Sale Uk, Ferrari 360 For Sale, Dpw Stock, What Is Premium Package On Infiniti Qx60, The Little Prince Themes, Abolish Meaning In Tamil, The Duchess Cast, Saleen Cars For Sale, Where Was Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid Filmed In New Mexico, Daihatsu Engine For Sale, Bmw Z4 For Sale By Private Owner, Lightroom Cc 2017, Juventus Trophies, What Does A Meteorologist Do, Float Project Management, Ford Taurus Width, Meaning Of Seeing A Document In A Dream, Mikhaila Peterson Wiki, Famous Female Flamenco Dancers, New Spongebob Movie, Good Guys Wear Black Shirt, Don Jazzy Age, Two Rings Here On My Little Finger Belonged To Grandmother, The Old Man And The Gun Soundtrack, Lewis Holtby Instagram, Guardians Book Series, Daily Derby Strategy, Welcome To The Machine Wow, Jeep Grand Cherokee 2021 Price, Suzuki Hybrid Review, Bill Heck Height, Nigerian Legal System Pdf, Joseph Maher Cause Of Death, Soft Hard Boiled Eggs, Nfl Stats By Position, Medical Schools In London, Hansel Honda Car Rental, Emily Deschanel Husband, Lightning Crashes Pearl Jam Cover, Mickey Mouse Film Series Movies, 2019 Lexus Rx 350 Price, How To Make Heavy Cream With Evaporated Milk, Audi R8 Spyder Singapore Price, Opel Insignia Electric, Mindy Cohn Net Worth, Pdf Editor, Julie Graham Teeth Gap Fixed, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Toyota Rav4 Plug-in Hybrid, Infiniti Q60 Convertible 2020, Biblical Meaning Of Bridget, Replacement Radio, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season 8, Shiloh In The Bible, Must Love Dogs Script, Kara Hayward Age, Painted From Memory Lyrics,